Feeling gratitude is one of the kriyas that can truly send your wellness quotient flying, not to mention change your life in the process. There has been a lot of research showing that those who practice an attitude of gratitude have a more positive outlook on life, improved social connections, and better sleep patterns. Dr. Robert Emmons from the University of California, Davis (my alma mater!) is currently developing a tool to measure the level of gratitude people show in their lives.
So, why should we adopt an attitude of gratitude? I came up with 5 of my own reasons:
1. What we focus on, multiplies. When we focus on what is going right in our lives, we find that our lives actually begin to feel quite abundant. We find so many things to be thankful for, just by taking a few minutes to re-focus.
2. We feel happier. Who wouldn’t be happy when they focus on what they have, not what they lack.
3. It reminds us of what’s important in life. It’s harder to complain about your work, when you are grateful for having a job. It’s harder to feel sorry for yourself, when you are grateful for having a family that loves you. It’s harder to be upset about home renovations, when you are grateful to have a home not affected by a tsunami.
4. It allows us to appreciate those around us. It’s so important to acknowledge the people in your lives. Thank that stranger for letting you have the parking spot. Compliment your best friend if you like her outfit. Tell someone why you’re grateful to have them in your life. It will make their day….and yours!
5. We are able to exude a positive vibe. When we display gratitude, it makes others want to jump on the bandwagon and think about what they are thankful for also. It is infectious, like laughter. People are attracted to it and are more apt to pay it forward.
To sum up, let me just say this: Be grateful for what you have, be grateful for what you don’t have, be grateful for what is coming your way, but most importantly, be ever so grateful for where you are in your life today. If you can rise up to that space, you will literally shift the vibration of your life. ***Check back Wednesday for techniques to help you exercise your gratitude muscle!
Deepali’s piece of wellness: This week, start and end each day with at least 5 things that fuel you with gratitude!