We spoke yesterday about re-creating our dreams, or the mental images we hold in our minds. In order to get what we want out of life, we have to have a roadmap. The problem for many of us is that the map is not clear enough. As we think about where we envision ourselves in our lives, oftentimes there is a mini-movie that runs through our heads. Some of these movies are blurry and on mute. Others depict a clear picture, with high volume. The question is, “how can we sustain and attain the clear pictures?” I came up with a few tactics that have worked for me and others I know.
1. Be very clear in what you want and where you see yourself. I think it helps to write it down. I suggested in a previous post to write out 30 things you want to be, do, and have – an exercise I learned from Jack Canfield’s book, The Success Principles. It’s a great exercise and forces you to become absolutely clear in what you want in each facet of your life.
2. Develop daily affirmations or mantras. You can infuse the things you wrote down above into your mind by affirming them in the present moment. For example, if you want to run your first marathon and are beginning to train, you can say to yourself, “I am feeling healthy and alive as I cross the finish line of my marathon on January 1, 2012!”. Make it specific and have a timeline.
3. Create a vision board. This is pretty powerful. You can use a cork board and pin pictures of the life you want. Maybe you want to travel to a particular country or envision yourself in a particular type of home. Perhaps, you are longing to spend more time cultivating your hobby – whatever it is, bring your mental images to life by cutting out photos that depict the things you want.
4. Be willing to do the work. Nothing can come your way without your sustained efforts. You have to be willing to work toward your goals diligently. If you’re not motivated to do the work, maybe you need to re-evaluate your vision. This isn’t a bad thing. It allows you to become honest and clear with yourself.
5. Let go. After doing everything you can, you have to let go and trust in the Universe or God – whatever the Higher Power is for you. The way in which your desires eventually manifest may involve many twists and turns. You have to leave room for growth and learning to occur along the way.
You may not know all the right steps to take on your journey, but at least take the first step in magnifying your vision. Maybe, like me, you are in the midst of re-creating a new vision for your life. Don’t get hung up on how you will get there. Just stay focused, do what’s in your control, and trust that you are moving closer to vision.